Posted on November 15th, 2010
Hi and welcome to Russian idioms lesson 20! You can find all of the Russian lessons on YouTube.com!
Надувать губы [na-doo-VAT’ GOO-bee]
Надувать губы means to show that you were hurt by something, or in other words to pout your lips.
Малыш надул губы.
[ma-LEESH na-DOOL GOO-bee]
Little baby pouted lips.
Попасть пальцем в небо [pa-PAST’ PAL’- tsem v NYE-ba]
Попасть пальцем в небо means to guess something.
Here is an example:
Я не знал ответ, я просто попал пальцем в небо!
[YA ni ZNAL at-VYET, YA PROS-ta pa-PAL PAL’-tsem v NYE-ba]
I didn’t know the answer, I guessed it!
Методом тыка [me-ta-DAM TEE-ka]
Методом тыка means by the hit-and-miss method.
Я починил свой компьютер методом тыка!
[YA pa-chi-NIL SVOY kam-P’YOO-ter MYE-ta-dam TEE-ka]
I fixed my computer by hit and miss method!
1. What Russian idiom means to do something by guesswork?
2. Please translate into Russian “Sasha pouted his lips”.
3. What does idiom “методом тыка” mean?
I’ll see you soon!
- 20 Words & Expressions from the Conversational Russian Video Course
- The Story behind the Conversational Russian Video Course
- Days of the Week in Russian Video Lesson
- Learn Romantic Phrases in Russian
- How Valentine’s Day is Celebrated in Russia
Study with Maxim Achkasov
The courses of Russian as a foreign language with FunRussian take place online via Skype. The teacher works with adults individually since he is convinced that each person must receive maximum time for practice and professional attention while learning a foreign language.